Tuesday, June 23, 2009

On Truth

I always seem to be on the wrong end of this one. Either I'm with a group of tie wearin' King James quotin' church-folk who hear my shades-of-gray and jump straight to hell-to-pay (get it? it rhymes!!!), or I'm hanging out with my guerrilla Marxist comrades in their berets and smoking their cigars and think I'm too quick to apply my definition of truth to others.

OK, so I don't regularly find myself in either of those groups, but I do often find myself alone out on a limb in one of these discussions that includes the fractious phrase "What is truth?"

This happened to me tonight at church. We were discussing a recommendable German movie that we had just finished (After the Truth) and The Question [ominous music here] came up. Whenever you start to answer one of these, everybody goes red-flag hunting and prepare themselves to shout you down when they don't want to hear what you have to say. I know this because this is also often what I'm doing.

So here's maybe a clarification of what I mean to say in these conversations and only rarely am able to articulate.

In regards to truth, I hold a position that is, at least in some sense, epistemologically relative. What I mean by this is that while I do believe that there is a transcendent truth (which I more typically refer to as God), I also believe that this truth is somehow inherently mysterious. So, while we can occasionally catch glimpses of truth, truth is not something that we can know like a fact, possess like a book, or wield as a weapon. To put it another way, our own knowledge of the truth stems only from our quick glances at it.

Since God (which you'll recall, is what I am referring to when I say truth above) is infinitely great and we are finite (and terribly ungreat), we cannot own or even store this truth without damaging or distorting it, due to the fact that we're squeezing something so ginormously huge into something so devastatingly compact.

So the truth is out there. There is, in fact, that one truth which is objective and useful as a standard, but due to our inability to comprehend it, our nontranscendent truth-statements are in fact relative to ourselves and our contexts.

I think that's what I meant to say.

2 comments:

Phil Mondy said...

To quote something that supports your argument about our humanity and limitations to understanding.

"For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears... Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

1 Cor. 13

Daniel Mondy said...

This might be a little abstract but, the bible also talks about the Spirit of Truth and knowing truth like a person. Which makes it even more difficult to quantify or write down. If you can, imagine trying to memorize a person.

"And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[a] in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.

John 14:16-18